I’ve been obsessed with this clip of a little boy asking Pete Buttigieg a question. I realized why: this video is a masterclass on dramatic structure
- Starts in medias res
- Illustrates characters through voice and action. Everything anyone says or does shows who they are.
- Quickly establishes world and stakes with the parental request, “Ask your question.”
- Introduces complication.
- Escalates the complication
- Has a strong, surprising turn at the climax (the boy jumps from the stage), which is fitting with the ‘bunny’ theme
- Aces the dismount with Pete’s “button” line.
Note: Chasten, Pete’s husband, is a gay middle school theatre teacher.
In honor of Pride Month, I was on Jimmy Chrismon’s THED Talks again to discuss the LGBTQ+ Romeo & Juliet.
Note to self: never read the transcript of your own interviews. The marbled mess of incomplete sentences and dropped in ‘likes’ will make you crazy.
Pride Month is over.
Long live Pride!