Length: 10-75 minutes
Casting: 9-25 actors
Originally written immediately before the pandemic, this draft has been annotated to be produced as a virtual performance.
SYNOPSIS: Seven short plays about transformation are knitted together by a ring that’s passed from a major character to a minor character. You can begin this play on any piece and eventually you will return to it.
– After a lonely woodcarver makes a puppet, who then carves more puppets to deal with her loneliness.
– An old woman encounters a rose that offers infinite life and instant death.
– An artist is shipwrecked on a magic island with his greatest foe.
– A young girl deals with the grief of losing her parents by hunting death.
– An apothecary deals with three obnoxious sorcerers.
– Forbidden lovers meet on an icy bridge, and one is taken by a waterfall spirit and turned to stone.
– A crow trades her plumage for shiny things, becoming human.
WHY THIS PLAY: This play has opportunities for eleven actors to have leading roles. Although it was originally written for an ensemble of middle school actors, it is also appropriate for older actors.